Springfield (April 16th, 2019)- SYC is excited to welcome one of the nation’s best youth soccer coaches. Pepe Maldonado will be joining SYC this summer as the Director of Coaches U13-U19, and will work closely with our coaching staff to provide a fun and competitive learning environment that will benefit all of the SYC members. Virginia Youth Soccer Association (VYSA) Technical Director Gordon Miller had this to say: “I would like to congratulate Jose “Pepe" Maldonado on his new club appointment. Pepe has been a member of the VYSA State ODP staff for about 10 years and has contributed a tremendous amount to the development of the state players. He is not only a high level coach but he is, more importantly, a quality person. He is an honest individual with a great deal of integrity and humility and he will undoubtedly raise the level of the players and people who he comes in contact with at his new club.”
Coach Pepe's list of accomplishments is impressive, including 3 VA State Cup Championships, 5 consecutive State Cup Finals, 1 Regional Final, successful National League appearances with multiple teams, and 3 VA Futsal Championships. Coach Pepe was named the 2017-2018 VYSA Boys Competitive Coach of the Year and was also named the 2017-2018 Region 1 Boys Competitive Coach of the Year after two of his teams made it to VYSA State Cup Finals and went undefeated in CCL play and EDP League. One of his current teams is ranked #4 in the nation and #1 in VA, and his other two teams are both #2 in VA. In the past two years, two of his teams have earned rankings as high as #2 in the nation. The teams he currently coaches have won multiple CCL titles, Top brackets of EDP leagues, placed top 3 in USYS National League competition, and have won Top brackets at Jefferson Cup, Bethesda Premier Cup, OBGC, EDP Cup in NJ, Arlington Invitational, Loudoun Showcase, Potomac Showcase and more. Three players he has recently coached and help developed have received U.S National Youth Team Camp invitations and he has worked with players that are finding success in MLS DA programs and in European Professional Academies. Six of his current players form part of ODP’s Regional Team in three different age groups.
SYC Technical Director Esteban “Este” Maldonado had this to say: “For almost a decade, Coach Pepe has developed some of the most exciting players and some of the best teams in the DMV area that have played at the highest level of the game. Simply by watching his training sessions, you can see that Coach Pepe is different and one of the best youth coaches in the nation. He is a very highly respected coach for the product he has been putting on the field for years, his great character, and for his passion for developing players on and off field. Coach Pepe will immediately make an impact on the SYC Soccer program and I couldn't be happier to have him on our team to make SYC a destination club in Northern Virginia."
Coaching and Playing Experience:
- 10 years of youth coaching experience, 7 of these at LMVSC
- 9 years of VA ODP coaching experience with boys & girls (Head Coach for State and District)
- Current 2003 VA ODP Boys Head Coach that will compete in Regionals this summer
- Holds National Youth Coaching License, US Soccer National C Coaching License, Manchester United Player Development Diploma and currently seeking National B Coaching License
- Played at Division 1 Programs VCU and GMU, where he led the team in points his sophomore year
- Left after Junior year at GMU to pursue a playing career in Mexico, where he signed a professional contract with Tecos in the Mexican top division.
- ODP National Pool Player, ODP Region 1 Team, and VA State Team player.
- Played 4 years varsity soccer at local Edison HS, where he led the district in scoring.
- VYSA 2017-2018 Boys Competitive Coach of the Year
- Region 1 2017-2018 Boys Competitive Coach of the Year
- Won 3 back to back Virginia – VYSA State Cup Championships
- 5 back to back Virginia – VYSA State Cup Finals
- 1 Region I Finalist
- This past fall, two of his teams qualified for prestigious National League in Disney, where one of the teams placed 3rd
- Within last 2 years, he has had two different teams ranked #2 in the nation
- Currently his three teams are ranked #1 or #2 in VA
- Currently one of his teams ranks #4 in the nation, the other two teams rank top 30 teams in the nation.
- Has recently coached 25+ players that have been selected for Regional ODP Teams
- Has recently coached 2 players that have received U.S National Team Camp Invitations
- Has recently coached numerous players that are finding success in MLS academies and in European Professional Academies
- 4 Futsal State Cup Championships with various age groups
- Graduated from GMU with a degree in Decision Sciences and Management Information Systems
Tag(s): Travel Soccer